Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Thou Art Indeed Just, Lord (p.778)


In the poem Thou Art Indeed Just, Lord,  Hopkins is distressed because he has a sort of writers block, and he is asking God why he is allowing this to happen to him. He says “Why do sinners’ ways prosper? and why must/ Disappointment all I endeavor end?” (lines 3&4) He does not understand why God allows others to produce works but he “strain,/ Time’s eunuch, and not breed one work that wakes.” (lines 12&13)
Hopkins is frustrated because he thought God was his friend. He believes that if that were true, he would not have these troubles. Hopkins’ concern is a classic one demonstrated throughout the bible. In situations more dire than the one in which Hopkins finds himself figures like Job, David and Jeremiah asked the same question.   The complete destruction of Job’s family, possessions, and health while Job was an upright man; the plight of a would be ruler pursued by a unrighteous king; and a prophet of God preaching to a lost world and his imprisonment are all examples that escaped Hopkins’ notice.
Who hasn’t experienced the same sort of question when things go wrong?  Hopkins touches a common human emotion when he asked why sinners prosper.  Hopkins believes God is withholding blessings and in so doing, allowing Hopkins to strain while failing to produce that which he attempts to create.  It struck me that I’ve often wondered why sinners prosper while I work diligently to produce what is expected.  If that effort falls short of my expectations, or worse-others expectations, I often see obstacles that others might not see. 
Hopkins concluded his work with the request for help, “O thou lord of life, send my roots rain.” (line 14) Hopkins believed that the attention of God and the affections of God shown to his friend (Hopkins) would result in Hopkins being able to produce without strain.  I’d like to think I also have the sort of friendly relationship with God that I could ask for rain and be better able to achieve my goals.  In Hopkins’ mind I guess that sort of help would demonstrate God’s justice.  The same pleas for help were voiced by Job, David and Jeremiah.  All three prospered in the end and I’m certain Hopkins hoped and prayed for the same result.

3 comments:

  1. Ashlei,

    Excellent explication of Hopkins's anguished poem, with insightful connections of his message and prayer to analogous passages in the Bible. Very astute analysis of his final line—keep up the very good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you did very good job of comparing Hopkins to the biblical Job, David and Jeremiah. I too think of the same, that good things happen to those who don't deserve it and bad things happen to those who try to do the right things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like that you used biblical references in your analysis of this work. I find myself asking those same questions at different points in life. However, I think I observe it more when bad things are happening to those that I know live a righteous life, while others do horrible things and nothing seems to happen. In my opinion, I believe it is OK to ask God why these things are happening, especially when you are unable to comprehend it yourself. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete